Treating injuries and disorders of the muscles, bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and nerves
The Atrius Health Sports Medicine Department treats sports-related injuries for adults of all fitness levels and athletic backgrounds. We also have significant experience with the care of adolescent sports injuries for athletes age 16-21.
Our team of orthopedic sports medicine specialists, physician assistants and physical therapists works collaboratively with athletic trainers and strength and fitness experts to offer comprehensive and sports-specific care for both recreational and professional athletes. Our surgeons specialize in minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery of all major joints. We provide team medical coverage for some local professional, college and high school teams, as well as local championship and athletic events. Our goal is to safely return the injured athlete to his/her sport and provide tools and education to prevent further sports-related injuries.
Effects of Sports Injuries on Athletes
Participation in organized sports and recreational physical activity is on the rise across all ages. This has increased the number of sports-related injuries in children, adolescents and adults requiring medical attention. These injuries often lead to limitation of sports participation and may impact daily activities as well.
- Acute Injuries often result from sports-related trauma and include sprains, strains, ligament tears, meniscal tears, cartilage injuries, fractures, dislocations or tendon ruptures. These injuries frequently occur in sports such as football, basketball, soccer, lacrosse and skiing.
- Chronic Injuries often result from overuse due to repetitive athletic activity and include tendonitis, bursitis, stress fractures, chronic joint instability, and arthritis. These injuries can result from overuse in sports such as baseball, running, swimming, golfing, and tennis.
Sports Medicine Services
- Non-operative Sports Medicine
- Adult Sports Medicine
- Pediatric and Adolescent Sports Medicine
- Women’s Sports Medicine
- Rehabilitation and Conditioning
- Physical Therapy
- Injury Prevention Programs
- Athletic Performance Education
- Musculoskeletal Radiology
- Orthopedic Surgery
Our expert sports medicine surgeons perform minimally invasive and state-of-the-art surgical techniques including:
- Shoulder Rotator Cuff Repair
- Shoulder Stabilization
- AC-Joint Reconstruction
- Elbow Ligament Reconstruction
- Biceps/Triceps Tendon Surgery
- Meniscus Repair and Replacement
- Knee Ligament Reconstruction
- Cartilage Repair and Transplantation
- Ankle Ligament Reconstruction
- Achilles Tendon Repair
- Shoulder/Elbow Arthroscopy
- Hip/Knee/Ankle Arthroscopy