Minimally-Invasive GYN Surgery
Advancements in technology techniques now provide women many options to address certain gynecological conditions with less invasive surgical procedures. The Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery Service (MIGS) of Atrius Health offers treatment options for women with benign gynecologic disorders through use of laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, vaginal, and robotic-assisted surgery.
The following conditions can potentially be treated with minimally invasive gynecologic surgery:
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Endometrial ablation
- Evaluation for potential cancerous or precancerous changes of the reproductive tract
- Investigation and treatment of pelvic pain
- Laparoscopic removal of the uterus or ovary
- Removal of ovarian cysts
- Treatment for some types of infertility
- Tubal ligation
- Urinary incontinence
- Uterine fibroids
Benefits of Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
Unlike conventional surgical procedures, there are several benefits to a patient who chooses to have minimally invasive surgery:
- Most of these surgeries can be done on an outpatient-basis; hospitalization is not usually required.
- Recovery is typically much faster than with conventional surgery.
- There is usually only minimal post-operative discomfort.
- There is less blood loss, less likelihood of infections and faster return to normal activities.
- Many of these procedures can improve or maintain fertility.