- Health & Wellness
- Wellness Information
- Video Library
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
- All About the Flu
- Choosing Wisely
- Know When Antibiotics Work
- Stop Smoking
Top ten reasons to quit
There are many reasons to stop smoking. You’ve probably heard of quite a few, and there are also very personal reasons why people choose to quit.
Below are some well-known and compelling reasons to quit. We’re not saying it’s easy – but there is life after cigarettes. And quitting is the most important thing you can do for your health.
- You’ll feel healthier right away. Because as soon as you stop smoking, your body will begin to rid itself of tobacco toxins. And after just twenty minutes, your heart rate drops and circulation will improve.
- You can reduce your chances of having a heart attack or a stroke.
- You can decrease the possibility that you’ll get lung cancer, emphysema, and other debilitating lung diseases.
- Smoking stinks. If you quit, your clothes, hair, breath, home and car will smell fresher.
- Who said vanity wasn't important? You will have fewer wrinkles and whiter teeth.
- You will cough less and breathe better. You won't be so out of breath. And in essence, this means you'll have more energy to pursue physical activities that you enjoy.
- Nicotine is the addictive ingredient in cigarettes, but guess what? They also contain more than 4,000 other chemicals and poisons.
- You will reduce the number of coughs, colds, and earaches your child will have. If pregnant, you increase your chances of having a healthy baby.
- You will save money.
- The sense of accomplishment is tremendous just knowing that you have more control over your life and your health.